Also further detailed history on the Long Family and this magnificent home can be found at:
This Victorian-style house was built by James Long around 1865. Connected with the smelting and
mining business, Long was a very prominent and respected man in Potosi. Long served as sheriff
and collector of the county for four years, and was treasurer for six years. The family, as they
moved into the home, included James and Bettie Long and their young daughter, Lily. The family
was completed here with the birth of two more daughters - Mattie, in 1866, and Minnie, in 1870. The
house soon became a social center for the town with many piano recitals. This charming and
beautiful building has been home to generations of the Long family. It has also been the building
where James Long, Bettie Long, and all three of their daughters died within its walls. They are
buried in the nearby Presbyterian Cemetery. Throughout the years, many generations of the Long
(Banta) family lived in the residence. This historic site is currently maintained by the Mine Au
Breton Historical Society. Much of the furniture currently in the house originally belonged to the
Paranormal history of the Long-Banta House includes unexplainable noises similar to those of
books or large objects dropped upon the floor, people being touched by unseen hands, and an
ethereal note played upon the downstairs piano. The shadowy figures of a female and children
have been seen in the windows by passerby. An odd grunting sound was also reported. The
unexplainable movement of decorative candles in a second floor bedroom was witnessed by
Further detailed history on the Austin-Milam-Lucas Store can be found online at:
The front portion of the building was first erected by Moses Austin from logs around 1797. Over
time, the store has been added to and built upon creating the building as it stands today. Victims of
“The Trail of Tears” bought supplies at the store when passing through in the 1830s. Confederate
Rebels ransacked the building during The Raid of 1864. In 1932, Frank J. Flynn, a clerk at the
Washington County Bank, took his own life in one of the upstairs rooms by a self-inflicted gunshot
wound to his heart. At the time of the suicide, the store was being used as a private residence.
The Austin-Milam-Lucas Store is currently a museum maintained by the Mine Au Breton Historical
Some people have reported seeing a shadow figure of a man peering from the window where the
suicide occurred. Others have reported a light flicker in the room. When the store was an
apartment building, tenants told of unexplainable electrical problems such as lights and other
appliances turning on and off on their own. Reports have also included odd odors, moving cold
spots, floating lights, and strange knocking sounds. Disembodied voices and a black floating ball-
like anomaly were recorded during a paranormal investigation. One person was even grabbed on
the arm by an unseen hand on one occasion and another person was unexplainably scratched by
The extensive history of this location is found in the Tour Guide. Both the Word and Text Version
are available below for download courtesy of Mine Au Breton Historical Society. Click one of the
below formats to open the document.
Old Presbyterian Church Tour Guide (Word Version)
Old Presbyterian Church Tour Guide (Text Version)
Also further detailed history can be found online at:
The Old Presbyterian Church is Potosi’s oldest public building and the oldest Presbyterian Church
still standing west of the Mississippi River. It was built in 1833. The Church had an upper gallery
where slaves could attend church services with their owners. This building housed Presbyterian
worship services from 1833 to 1907, when the congregation moved to the “New Presbyterian
Church.” In the following years, the Old Presbyterian Church gave varied service to the
community. It served as a Masonic Auditorium, the first “gymnasium” for the earliest basketball
teams of Potosi High School, a theatre where silent movies were shown, and meeting hall for The
Boy Scouts. The building now functions as a museum of Potosi’s rich and significant past.
Some people and paranormal investigators describe a feeling that something is watching them from
the upper gallery. Sounds of footsteps have also been encountered walking across the upper
gallery and coming down the stairs.
The Old City, Presbyterian, and Masonic Cemeteries sit just behind the Old Presbyterian Church.
Much of the town’s history is buried within their boundaries. The resting places of the Long Family,
Moses Austin, the Lapine Family, and John Meyers can be found here. People have reported
hearing disembodied voices and seeing unexplainable shadow figures move about. Reports of
paranormal investigators have included experiencing unexplainable moving areas of
electromagnetic fields coupled with notable temperature drops while investigating.
More about the above Mine Au Breton Historical Society properties can be found online at:
WWW.HISTORICPOTOSI.COM and tours can be arranged by calling their President, Jerry Sansegraw
at 573- 438- 3093
|Mine Au Breton Historical Society Properties
Long-Banta House - Austin-Milam-Lucas Store - Old Presbyterian Church-Museum
Potosi, MO - HISTORY PAGE
The Mine Au Breton Historical Society was organized in 1963 and then reorganized in 1981.
The properties maintained by this Society which were investigated by Missouri Paranormal
1. James Long Home (Long-Banta House)
2. Austin-Milam-Lucas Store
3. Old Presbyterian Church & Mine Au Breton Historical Society Museum
To contact the Society for more information or to make a contribution you can email Society
President Jerry Sansegraw at Jerry090@centurytel.net or via mail at:
Mine Au Breton Historical Society
10205 Weber Lane
Potosi, Missouri 63664
The extensive history of this home is found in the 1991 Edition of the Tour Guide. Both the Word
and Text Version are available below for download courtesy of Mine Au Breton Historical Society.
Click one of the below formats to open the document.
Long-Banta House Tour Guide (Word Version)
Long Banta House Tour Guide (Text Version)
|Music provided by local St. Louis
artist & musician Paleface
Song: "Ethno Logik"
Click the above cover for his MySpace page.
Credits: (c)(p) 2007 Paleface
|PARANORMAL TASK FORCE
History Page of Mine Au Breton Historical Society & Properties
- POTOSI, MISSOURI -
|History and Profile of Home and Properties
|Old Presbyterian Church & Mine Au Breton Historical Society Museum
|James Long Home (Long-Banta House)
MISSOURI PARANORMAL RESEARCH™ & WWW.MISSOURIPARANORMALRESEARCH.COM © 2004-2010
PARANORMAL TASK FORCE™ & WWW.PARANORMALTASKFORCE.COM © 2006-2010
PARAVOYANCE™ & WWW.PARAVOYANCE.COM © 2007-2010
WWW.CATCHMYGHOST.COM & WWW.UNIONHAUNTING.COM © 2006-2010
WWW.ZOMBIEROAD.COM & WWW.HARNEYMANSION.COM & WWW.PARAVOYANCE.COM & WWW.HISTORICPOTOSI.COM © 2007-2010
WWW.LEGACYOFSHADOWS.COM © 2009-2010
All content on the abovementioned websites are copyright © by the submitter of the content and/or MISSOURI PARANORMAL
RESEARCH™, PARAVOYANCE™ and/or PARANORMAL TASK FORCE™ Inc. The material on this site should not be used in part or
whole, copied, stored or transmitted without the prior written consent of the original submitter and/or MISSOURI PARANORMAL
RESEARCH™ , PARAVOYANCE™, PARANORMAL TASK FORCE™ Inc. or in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act.
MISSOURI PARANORMAL RESEARCH™ , PARAVOYANCE™, PARANORMAL TASK FORCE™ Inc.,
WWW.MISSOURIPARANORMALRESEARCH.COM, WWW.PARANORMALTASKFORCE.COM, WWW.PARAVOYANCE.COM,
WWW.CATCHMYGHOST.COM, WWW.ZOMBIEROAD.COM, WWW.UNIONHAUNTING.COM, WWW.HARNEYMANSION.COM
WWW.HISTORICPOTOSI.COM and WWW.LEGACYOFSHADOWS.COM holds no copyright of content found on other Web sites linked
from the MISSOURI PARANORMAL RESEARCH™, PARANORMAL TASK FORCE Inc.., PARAVOYANCE™ or other associated Web sites
and will not collect any personally identifiable information about you (e.g., your name, address, telephone number or email address)
through our websites unless you have provided it to us voluntarily. If you do not want your personal data collected, please do not
submit it to us.